EMDR Therapy & Training
Welcome to EMDR Therapy & Training, the professional website of Dr Darra J Murphy
Dr Darra J Murphy MB, BCh, BAO, MICGP (Ire), FRACGP, MFamMed, FASPM (Aus)
2018- EMDRAA Accredited Trainer
2015- EMDR Institute Faculty Instructor
2013-15 EMDR Institute Trainer training
2012- EMDRAA Approved Consultant
2011- EMDR Institute Facilitator
2010-11 EMDR Association of Australia (EMDRAA) Board member
2004- EMDR Institute Supervision / Case Consultation
1999-00 EMDR Institute Basic Training (Parts 1 & 2)
Academic & Institutional appointments
2017-19 Chair, Psychological Medicine Network, RACGP, Australia
2014-16 President, Australian Society for Psychological Medicine, Australia
2007-11 Board Member (RACGP), Mental Health Professionals Network (MHPN), Australia
2001-04 Intern & HMO Accreditation Committee, Postgraduate Medical Council of Victoria, Australia
2001-04 Medical Education Committee, Austin Health, Melbourne, Australia
1994-96 Board of Graduate Studies, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Australia
1993-02 Honorary Senior Lecturer, Monash University Centre for Rural Health, Moe/Traralgon, Australia
1992-98 Board of Graduate Studies, Latrobe Regional Hospital, Victoria, Australia
1992-93 Senior Lecturer, Monash University Centre for Rural Health, Moe/Traralgon, Australia
1988-95 Area Co-ordinator, FMP Gippsland, RACGP Training Program, Victoria, Australia
1988-01 Clinical tutor, Dept. of General Practice & Community Medicine, Monash University, Australia
1985-01 Accredited GP Supervisor / Training Practice, RACGP Training Program, Victoria, Australia
General Practice & Community Appointments
2004- Associate, The Western Medical Centre (TWMC), Yarraville, Australia
1987-95 Medical Officer of Health, Narracan Shire, Gippsland, Australia
1993-94 Executive Director, Central-West Gippsland Division of General Practice, Moe, Australia
1984-01 Founder & Principal, Trafalgar Medical Centre (TMC), Trafalgar, Australia
1982-84 Medical Director, Central Gippsland Aboriginal Health Service, Morwell, Australia
2004-13 Senior Medical Officer (Sessional), Djerriwarrh Health Services, Bacchus Marsh, Australia
2001-04 Director of Medical Services & Primary Care, Echuca Regional Health, Echuca, Australia
1997-01 Visiting Medical Officer (VMO), West Gippsland Hospital, Warragul, Australia
1992-98 VMO, Latrobe Regional Hospital, (Moe/Traralgon), Australia
1989-91 Casualty Director (Part-time), Latrobe Valley Hospital, Moe, Australia
1986-87 Casualty Director/Deputy Director of Medical Services, Warrnambool & District Base Hospital
1984-91 VMO - Latrobe Valley Hospital, Moe, Australia
1980-84 VMO - Central Gippsland Hospital, Traralgon, Australia
Postgraduate Medical Training
1981-82 Associate, Benevenagh Medical Centre (RACGP Training Program), Morwell, Australia
1980-81 GP Registrar (RACGP Training Program), Deakin Street Clinic, Traralgon, Australia
1979-80 RMO / Registrar, Rotating Residency Program (RACGP Training Program), Victoria, Australia
1978-79 RMO, Alfred Hospital (RACGP Training Program), Prahran, Australia
1977-78 Intern / RMO, Repatriation General Hospital, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia.
1976-77 Intern, Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Degrees, Diplomas & Certificates
2001 FASPM Fellow, Australian Society for (former College of) Psychological Medicine (ASPM)
2000 EMDR (cert) Eye Movement Desensitisation and Re-processing, EMDR Institute, CA, USA
1996 EMST (cert) Emergency Management of Surgical Trauma, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 1996 MFamMed Master of Family Medicine, Monash University
1986 MICGP Member, Irish College of General Practitioners (MICGP)
1983 FRACGP Fellow, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
1976 MB, BCh, BAO National University of Ireland (University College Dublin), Ireland
2014 EMDR therapy: Evidence-based and Quality Information for Psychologists (EQIP)
- Australian Psychological Society website
1997 Extended Latrobe Valley Injury Surveillance (ELVIS) project.
- Monash University Accident Research Centre, Melbourne, Australia
1996 Doctor and patient perceptions of the role of general practitioners as gatekeepers/resource managers
- General Practice Evaluation Program, National Information Service, Flinders University, SA
1995 Resource Allocation. Session 5 - Ethics, Diploma/Master of Family Medicine Degree,
- Monash University Department of General Practice & Community Medicine, Melbourne, Australia
1995 Constructing an instrument to measure GP and patient perceptions of the GP as a Gatekeeper
- Master’s Degree Thesis, Monash University Library, Melbourne, Australia
1994 General Practice: an 'Oznostic' view.
- Tenth Anniversary, ICGP, Ireland
1991 Health Promotion in General Practice using Information Technology. Demonstration Grants Program,
- General Practice Evaluation Program, Commonwealth Department of Health, Australia
Conference presentations, posters & workshops
2017 EMDR therapy: integrating psychology and physiology (workshop).
- EMDRIA Conference, Seattle, WA, USA.
2016 EMDR therapy (presentation).
- Pre-conference Master Class, RACGP / ASPM Unconference, Melbourne, Australia (presentation).
2013 EMDR therapy in general practice (presentation).
- EMDR Association of Australia Conference, Sydney, Australia.
2013 Introduction to EMDR therapy (presentation).
- Connecting Minds: RACGP/ASPM Conference, Melbourne, Australia
2011 Psychotherapy in General Practice (presentation).
- World Dreaming: 6th World Congress for Psychotherapy, Sydney, Australia.
2000 1. The patient-centred method in general medical practice (workshop)
2. Establishing a GP research network (poster).
- International Society for Quality in Health, Dublin, Ireland
1998 1. Perceptions of the GP as a Gatekeeper / Resource Manager” (presentation).
2. Establishing a GP research network (poster).
- World Organisation of National Colleges & Academies of General Practice, Dublin, Ireland
1996 Conducting a GP research network collecting injury data (presentation).
- Third International Conference on Injury Prevention and Control, Melbourne, Australia
1995 ELVIS (the Extended Latrobe Valley Injury Study): collecting injury data in general practice (presentation).
- First National Conference on Injury Prevention, Sydney, Australia, Ireland
1994 GP and patient perceptions of the GP as a Gatekeeper / Resource Manager (presentation)
- Annual Scientific Meeting, Australian Association of Academic General Practitioners, Adelaide,
1993 General Practice in Australia (presentation).
- Annual General Meeting, ICGP, Galway, Ireland